Thursday, February 18, 2010

I'm tired...shouldn't you?

When American Idol debuted in 2002, no one in Asia have any idea what it was. In fact, the idea was from Pop Idol, which started the Idol craze worldwide. I was the listener of UK Top 40 chart aired on hitz.fm every Saturday from 6pm to 10pm so I was aware of the Pop Idol when Will Young announced the winner of the series. Me too had no idea about the show except who won it. When Kelly Clarkson debuted her single it was hard to market her without mentioning "American Idol winner".

After it conquered the world and becomes the pop culture phenomenon. For me just after 3-4 years watching it, it was getting lamer each year. I was asking myself, this is just a shortcut way to be famous. When a lot of talents pops at the same time, it's overwhelming. Plus, their music doesn't really fresh or great. Take Kris Allen for instance, he decided to cover The Script's Live Like We're Dying. The song never really convinced me he is the winner of AI. What about Taylor Hicks? Dropped by his label when his album never really took off. When season 9 debuted on TV weeks ago, still a lot of talents wanna make it big with this shortcut. I am a music fan and know that AI or any talent shows these days is not really a golden ticket to success.

Not just in US, but here in Malaysia as well winning talent show or be in a talent show does not really put you in the entertainment map. It's bullshit. Take Mawi for instance. When his life went public, I can see his face annoyed when been bombarded with questions. Then, where is he? I dunno. Then there's Daniel, won the Malaysian Idol and gone like the wind. But come to think of it, Mr. Simon Cowell is the one who's smiling when ratings go up every year. You see,

Ratings = millions of moolah.

But people still go crazy over those talent shows. Why? You never really support them right? I had an argument with my friends when I said that they never really support the artist they like, especially local acts. They never bought their albums, never attended their gigs and just by downloading songs FREE of the Net, it is considered support to them. Hell no. I know that I don't listen to Malay songs, but at least I don't download their songs off the Internet. For me if they are good, I will support them in proper way. Not just by mouth, but with action as well. Buy their CDs, attending gigs etc.

So the conclusion is, I am tired with all those shows. The talents on the show is just wasted overnight because when the new season coming, we can' even remember the last season winner, save the contestants. And if you love the music that the artists make, please support them in a good way. In a way that they can benefit from. I stopped watching Idol 4 years ago, just the audition shows amuses me, everytime.

That's talent. Stupid talent that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what?