Monday, November 16, 2009

Is it the story, or sex?

A year ago I watched a movie called Twilight. Groundbreaking? No. Captivating? No. Killer storyline? Little. I remember I wasn't mesmerized in that 90 minutes. I was busy looking at girls drooling over Edward Cullen. I watched a lot of movies and that movie by far never would have succeeded. But it was everywhere. Can I watch E! without them mentioning it? Can I go to the bookstores without seeing their cut-outs? It's a clean no.

New Moon gonna come out in a few days and I dunno if I actually excited over it. Call me hypocrite, but the reason why I'm mentioning it in the past posts is because it's a pop culture phenomenon, and I want all of you to experience it. So maybe 15 or 20 years from now yours and my kids will asking question about how big Twilight and we can answer to them, specifically. It's like when I was asking my dad how big was the movie Grease in the 70's. I was reading the third book, Eclipse and half way through it was the same story all over again. It's Bella as the center of attention, again. I ended up didn't buy the book (I got it first as e-book). So why Twilight franchise is so successful?

It was sex all along. Or lust that is. The market for the books is teenage girls. So perfect leading man is needed. In the book Edward portrayed as the perfect guy ever. In the movie Robert Pattison filled that role. Not kinda Edward in my mind, but he's close enough to make horny girls screaming like they were competing in MTV Scream Queen reality show. So the same formula with New Moon film? You betcha.

This time Edward is no longer hot (or ironically ice cold) so Jacob is the new Edward. This time not only the leading man got the looks, but killer bods as well. Perfect combo. And again teenage girls have someone to fill their hearts until the next movie come out. I saw the trailer and I bet it will be like the original movie. Modified, shortened and lame acting. But that didn't stop anything related to Twilight hit #1 in every charts (the soundtrack managed to hit #1 in US).

So people what are you paying for? A quality movie or just to fill your lust? Either way is fine with me, at least know what you are paying for. So don't complain when your boyfriend angry with you drooling all over the Quiletes pack.

Six packs to be exact.

1 comment:

  1. aku satu pun tak tgk. sbb aku rasa takde something value and worth to watch. :D

    ReplyDelete

Say what?